Saturday, February 5, 2011

Casual - Be Thousand (1994) sampled Jimmy Smith - 2nd Movement: Ritual (1973)

Artist:  Casual
Song:  Be Thousand
Year:  1994
Album:  Fear Itself



I used to be a rampant Hieroglyphics fan, I even liked Extra Prolific's 2nd album, 2 For 15.  But when I think back, the most classic album put out by the crew was Casual's "Fear Itself".  One of my favourite moments in history was the Casual vs. Saafir battle in 1994 on KMEL's The Wake Up Show with Sway and King Tech.  This month I will celebrate these two emcees.




Artist:  Jimmy Smith
Song:  2nd Movement: Ritual
Year:  1973
Album:  Portuguese Soul



The sample appears at the 0:06 mark.  The song is in a 5/4 time signature.  Casual used the first 4 beats of the loop to convert it into 4/4 time.  I also like when 3/4 loops repeat a beat to convert to 4/4.  Emcees rhyming in 5/4 or 3/4 would be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment