Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gang Starr - The Illest Brother (1992) sampled Bill Cosby - Get Out Of My Life, Woman (1968)

Artist:  Gang Starr
Song:  The Illest Brother
Year:  1992
Album:  Daily Operation



There used to be a time when I was finding DJ Premier samples all the time.  Since the change of the Millennium, that hasn't been the case.  Guru, rest in peace.  Gang Starr has played an instrumental role in my love for jazz music.




Artist:  Bill Cosby
Song:  Get Out Of My Life, Woman
Year:  1968
Album:  Bill Cosby Sings Hooray for the Salvation Army Band!



Bill Cosby is an icon and I wish he was better recognized for his barrier-breaking achievements while he is still alive.  I've always liked how DJ Premier found this loop for the verses in The Illest Brother, it appears at 2:28.  I should also note there is a famous drum break at the beginning of this song.  Out of the many songs that have used it, the ones that come to mind are:  Chubb Rock "The Big Man", Cypress Hill "Stoned Is The Way of The Walk" and Jemini The Gifted One "Brooklyn Kids".

1 comment:

  1. Gang Starr "The Illest Brother" sampled Ahmad Jamal "Ghetto Child" for the chorus.

    ReplyDelete