Saturday, August 25, 2012

Young Zee - Electric Chair (1996) sampled The Jones Girls - Who Can I Run To (1979)

Artist:  Young Zee
Song:  Electric Chair
Year:  1996
Album:  Musical Meltdown



I never saw this album in the stores, but thanks to my well-connected friend, Ilango, I had the bootleg copy on a cassette and later a CD.  This album is obscure but still features superstars like Lauryn Hill, Busta Rhymes and KRS-One.  Electric Chair is still my favourite track on the record (features Pacewon).




Artist:  Nas (Remix By Cookin Soul)
Song:  2nd Childhood
Year:  2005
Album:  Street's Most Wanted Remixes Vol. 2



This remix also shows up on Cookin Soul's "Nas: The Lost Tapes 1.5", which is where I got this version from.  Cookin Soul had 9 more years and came up with a more complex use of the samples.  If you're going to arrive late at a party, you might as well bring the best gift.  They used every cut of meat from this cow.




Artist:  The Jones Girls
Song:  Who Can I Run To
Year:  1979
Album:  The Jones Girls



Young Zee did not use a straight loop.  The bassline is the 2-bar loop starting at 0:14, but the guitars and keyboard are chopped.  The main 2-bar loop is 5 beats starting from 0:01.  Beat 6 is a repeat of beat 5.  Beats 7 and 8 are the two beats starting at 0:02 (same as beats 3 and 4).  The chorus is a 4-bar loop that starts at 0:14.

Cookin Soul's Nas Remix is too complex to break-down every sound, but I was able to recreate the main pieces and will list them in order of appearance.

The song starts with two 2-bar loops from 0:08.
The next 6 beats feature the same bassline from 0:14 and the next 2 beats is a vocal sample at 1:41.
The next bar is a vocal sample from 1:47 (about 3 beats).  The next bar is the "When I Need Love" sample from 2:26.
Next comes the bassline with the 2-bar loop used for the chorus from 2:31.
The verse then begins with the bassline and a piano sample from 0:19.
When the verse ends and just before the chorus begins, there is a sample of 4 notes and a vocal that says "tell me" from 2:02.
At the end of the song are new samples for the outro.  There are two 2-bar samples with the vocals "I Wanna Know Who I Can Run To" from 3:10.
Next is a 4-bar vocal sample "Whoooo Can I Run To When I Need Love" from 2:57.
The final 2-bar vocal sample is "Who Can I Run To, To Fill This Empty Face With Laughter" from 2:17.

1 comment:

  1. The piano notes at 0:15 are also used on Leaders Of The New School "Syntax Era".

    ReplyDelete