Thursday, February 6, 2014

Da Youngsta's - Hip Hop Ride (Mellow Mix) (1994) sampled Ronnie Laws - Grace (1978)

Artist:  Da Youngsta's
Song:  Hip Hop Ride (Mellow Mix)
Year:  1994
Album:  Hip Hop Ride / No Mercy 12-inch Single



I wonder if Da Youngsta's still use this group name as they approach middle age.  I believe this is another Marley Marl hit.




Artist:  Extra Pro
Song:  That's A Shame
Year:  1998
Album:  Master Piece



This is the little known third album from Extra Prolific on cassette.  If you're a fan of Snupe, as I am, you will like this album.  I always liked Snupe's balance of jazz and pimp sensibilities.  This album leans more towards pimp and less towards jazz.




Artist:  Ronnie Laws
Song:  Grace
Year:  1978
Album:  Flame



When I am grocery shopping, this is the type of music I like to hear.  Some call it elevator Muzak but I think it is ripe for sampling.
 
Da Youngsta's used the two-bar loop from 0:01 for their intro and chorus, while employing the two-bar loop from 0:13 for the verses.
 
Extra Pro used the two-bar loop from 1:23 for the whole song.  For the chorus, horns were added to the mix.  The chorus uses 5 one-bar loops from 2:22 and then a three-bar sample from 2:25.

No comments:

Post a Comment