Friday, October 7, 2011

No I.D. - State To State (Pimp Remix) (1998) sampled The Brothers Johnson - Thunder Thumbs And Lightnin' Licks (1976)

Artist:  No I.D.
Song:  State To State (Pimp Remix)
Year:  1998
Album:  State To State (Remixes) 12-Inch Single



Happy one-year anniversary of this blog.  Hope you're looking forward to year 2.  Here we have some of Chicago's finest.  I've always considered No I.D. to be grown-man rap, especially when Common and Dug Infinite are on the track.




Artist:  The Reepz
Song:  Take The Train
Year:  1998
Album:  U-N-I VS. ALL featuring the UNIVERSAL emcees



Universal Records put out U-N-I VS. ALL, clever.  Does anyone remember an Emcee named Pirate?  He brought the first verse here, was associated with Tracey Lee, sounded a little like Q-Tip and wore a patch over his left eye.  The Reepz was his crew and the video for this song was amusing.  It's too bad I never heard much more from Pirate, I'd like a solo album.  This is a decent compilation, where else would you find Panama P.I., Canibus and Rakim together?




Artist:  The Brothers Johnson
Song:  Thunder Thumbs And Lightnin' Licks
Year:  1976
Album:  Look Out For #1



This album cover rocks!  The first time I heard this song, I was just casually listening and then the sample just hit me over the head when it dropped at 2:07.

No comments:

Post a Comment