Friday, October 21, 2011

Action Bronson - Shiraz (2011) sampled Brother Jack McDuff - The Shadow Of Your Smile (1967)

Artist:  Action Bronson
Song:  Shiraz
Year:  2011
Album:  Dr. Lecter



Happy Birthday to my good friend RGH.  I need to thank him for introducing me to Action Bronson's music last year.  Action reminds me of Ghostface Killah with his laser-beam vocals.  I think he's my favourite new Emcee of the decade.




Artist:  Da King & I
Song:  Ghetto Instinct
Year:  1993
Album:  Contemporary Jeep Music



I remember seeing ads in The Source magazine for Rowdy Records that were marketing Da King & I with Y'all So Stupid.  Those groups seem like an odd pairing now.  I always felt like these guys didn't get their due recognition because this is a good album from the Golden Era of Hip-hop.




Artist:  Brother Jack McDuff
Song:  The Shadow Of Your Smile
Year:  1967
Album:  Tobacco Road



Brother Jack McDuff is the man who gave "Scenario" to A Tribe Called Quest and "Son Get Wrec" to Black Moon (thanks for the knowledge Tim!)  The Shadow Of Your Smile is one of those songs that multiple jazz artists have played.  I have never heard a version that I didn't like.  Da King & I used the loop at 0:00 and filtered the flute out for most of the song.  Action Bronson used more samples: the same one as Da King & I, followed by the samples at 0:05 and 0:15.

1 comment:

  1. Also sampled by De La Soul for "Ego Trippin' (Part Two) (LA Jay Remix)".

    ReplyDelete