Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Check It Out (1994) sampled Young-Holt Unlimited - Bumpin' On Young Street (1973)

Artist:  Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth
Song:  Check It Out
Year:  1994
Album:  The Main Ingredient



I think this is a great album but what's really funny to me is how almost every track contains a sample of Biz Markie or Big Daddy Kane.




Artist:  Da King & I
Song:  What's Up Doc
Year:  1993
Album:  Contemporary Jeep Music



I have to mention that these guys used a different sample from the same song and did it earlier than Pete Rock.  93 Flava!




Artist:  Young-Holt Unlimited
Song:  Bumpin' On Young Street
Year:  1973
Album:  Oh Girl



I still remember in the late 1990's walking into Cosmos Records on Queen Street in Toronto and hearing this song.  I quickly asked what it was.  The Toronto version of this song would be "Bumpin' On Yonge Street".  The Da King & I sample occurs at 1:48 and the Pete Rock sample at 1:57.

No comments:

Post a Comment