Saturday, April 26, 2014

Rapper Big Pooh - Between The Lines (2004) sampled The Fatback Band - Baby Doll (1973)

Artist:  Rapper Big Pooh
Song:  Between The Lines
Year:  2004
Album:  Sleepers



I give up 9th Wonder, you're a genius.  I can't figure out this beat fully, the flutes are difficult to recreate.  Another masterful production by Harvard Professor 9th Wonder.




Artist:  The Fatback Band
Song:  Baby Doll
Year:  1973
Album:  People Music



I dig the singing in this song, it makes for great vocal samples.

Rapper Big Pooh rhymes over 4-bar loops made up of many samples pieced together.

During the verse, you hear many flute samples from 0:27 to 1:07.  One of which is at 0:47 and another at 1:04.  At the 3 and 11 beats is a vocal sample "oh oh oh oh" from 5:39.

During the intro and chorus, more vocal samples.  "Love you" from 1:31.  "Honey I love you" from 1:30.  "Cause" from 1:54.  "My Love" from 2:37.

No comments:

Post a Comment