Saturday, June 25, 2011

Onyx - Shout (Pete Rock Remix) (1996) sampled Hubert Laws - Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again (1976)

Artist:  Onyx
Song:  Shout (Pete Rock Remix)
Year:  1996
Album:  Not officially released



I don't know much about this song's history.  What I do know is that I first heard it on a Chubby Chub mixtape from 1996 called "Get Dirty".  I'm assuming it is an unreleased song that has been later unofficially released.  Nice beat from Pete Rock.




Artist:  Onyx
Song:  Shout (Album Version)
Year:  1995
Album:  All We Got Iz Us



I like when a song and its remix are sampled from the same source.  The album version of Shout sounds similar to the remix.




Artist:  Ras Kass
Song:  Drama
Year:  1996
Album:  Soul On Ice



A Coolio appearance on the blog!  Ras Kass invites Coolio to rhyme on his classic album and I think that Coolio never sounded better.  It goes without saying that Ras Kass is in my Top 10 Emcees of all time.




Artist:  Hubert Laws
Song:  Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again
Year:  1976
Album:  Romeo & Juliet



A member of the Creed Taylor crew, Hubert Laws has been sampled a lot.  The Pete Rock Remix of "Shout" uses the sample located at 5:37 and repeats it before letting the rest of the loop play.  The album version of "Shout" uses the loop at 5:35, you can hear flute at the beginning, and I think they played the bassline, copying the notes from the sample at 1:47.  Finally, the Ras Kass used the loop at 1:38.

1 comment:

  1. The remix as well as original was produced by Fredro Starr and 8-Off Assassin (a.k.a. Agallah)

    ReplyDelete